U.S. National Debt Clock December 2013
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Thursday, December 12th, 2013
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $56,711 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $12,311,521,314,897.49
Intragovernmental Holdings: $4,918,824,268,214.03
Total U.S. National Debt: $17,230,345,583,111.52
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Aug/2013)
1. China, Mainland, $1268.1 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1149.1 billion dollars
3. Carib Bnkng Ctrs**, $300.5 billion dollars
4. Brazil, $252.9 billion dollars
5. Oil Exporters*, $246.4 billion dollars
6. All Other, $213.8 billion dollars
7. Taiwan, $183.6 billion dollars
8. Switzerland, $179.7 billion dollars
9. Belgium, $166.8 billion dollars
10. United Kingdom, $159.1 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.27 Trillion (Aug/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.15 Trillion (Aug/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $136 Billion (Aug/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $159.1 Billion (Aug/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $58.6 Billion (Aug/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $60.4 Billion (Aug/2013)
By: Dave Manuel