U.S. National Debt Clock March 2014
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Saturday, March 8th, 2014
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $57,572 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $12,531,106,424,577.83
Intragovernmental Holdings: $4,960,764,734,189.64
Total U.S. National Debt: $17,491,871,158,767.47
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Oct/2013)
1. China, Mainland, $1304.5 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1174.4 billion dollars
3. Carib Bnkng Ctrs**, $290.7 billion dollars
4. Brazil, $246.7 billion dollars
5. Oil Exporters*, $236.6 billion dollars
6. All Other, $214.9 billion dollars
7. Taiwan, $184.5 billion dollars
8. Belgium, $180.3 billion dollars
9. Switzerland, $174.3 billion dollars
10. United Kingdom, $158.4 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.3 Trillion (Oct/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.17 Trillion (Oct/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $149.9 Billion (Oct/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $158.4 Billion (Oct/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $60.7 Billion (Oct/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $58 Billion (Oct/2013)
By: Dave Manuel