U.S. National Debt Clock October 2016
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Saturday, October 1st, 2016
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $64,290 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $14,148,919,195,185.48
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,383,971,038,667.69
Total U.S. National Debt: $19,532,890,233,853.17
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of May/2016)
1. China, Mainland, $1244.0 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1133.2 billion dollars
3. All Other, $416.0 billion dollars
4. Cayman Islands, $260.2 billion dollars
5. Ireland, $259.8 billion dollars
6. Brazil, $249.5 billion dollars
7. Switzerland, $228.7 billion dollars
8. Luxembourg, $221.8 billion dollars
9. United Kingdom, $216.5 billion dollars
10. Hong Kong, $192.7 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.24 Trillion (May/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.13 Trillion (May/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $88.2 Billion (May/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $216.5 Billion (May/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $97.1 Billion (May/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $76.5 Billion (May/2016)