U.S. National Debt Clock July 2014
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Monday, July 28th, 2014
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $57,974 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $12,582,284,367,906.06
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,031,617,151,022.98
Total U.S. National Debt: $17,613,901,518,929.04
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Mar/2014)
1. China, Mainland, $1272.1 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1200.2 billion dollars
3. Belgium, $381.4 billion dollars
4. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $312.5 billion dollars
5. Oil Exporters*, $247.4 billion dollars
6. Brazil, $245.3 billion dollars
7. All Other, $198.8 billion dollars
8. United Kingdom, $176.4 billion dollars
9. Taiwan, $176.4 billion dollars
10. Switzerland, $175.7 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.27 Trillion (Mar/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.2 Trillion (Mar/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $100.4 Billion (Mar/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $176.4 Billion (Mar/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $63 Billion (Mar/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $60 Billion (Mar/2014)
By: Dave Manuel