U.S. National Debt Clock July 2015
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Wednesday, July 1st, 2015
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $59,747 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $13,070,835,567,569.10
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,081,834,726,074.94
Total U.S. National Debt: $18,152,670,293,644.04
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Dec/2014)
1. China, Mainland, $1263.4 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1215.7 billion dollars
3. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $295.5 billion dollars
4. Oil Exporters*, $292.9 billion dollars
5. Brazil, $262.7 billion dollars
6. Belgium, $228.9 billion dollars
7. Switzerland, $215.8 billion dollars
8. Ireland, $215.7 billion dollars
9. United Kingdom, $194.8 billion dollars
10. Hong Kong, $183.1 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.26 Trillion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.22 Trillion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $66.5 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $194.8 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $76.3 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $72.5 Billion (Dec/2014)