U.S. National Debt Clock March 2015
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Thursday, March 5th, 2015
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $59,738 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $13,083,156,868,369.24
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,066,797,663,395.83
Total U.S. National Debt: $18,149,954,531,765.07
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Dec/2014)
1. China, Mainland, $1244.3 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1230.9 billion dollars
3. Belgium, $335.4 billion dollars
4. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $333.2 billion dollars
5. Oil Exporters*, $285.9 billion dollars
6. Brazil, $255.8 billion dollars
7. Switzerland, $190.1 billion dollars
8. United Kingdom, $189.2 billion dollars
9. All Other, $179.4 billion dollars
10. Taiwan, $174.4 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.24 Trillion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.23 Trillion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $86 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $189.2 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $72.7 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $69 Billion (Dec/2014)
By: Dave Manuel