U.S. National Debt Clock August 2015
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Wednesday, August 5th, 2015
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $59,743 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $13,154,209,400,019.46
Intragovernmental Holdings: $4,997,081,209,936.77
Total U.S. National Debt: $18,151,290,609,956.23
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Dec/2014)
1. China, Mainland, $1270.3 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1214.9 billion dollars
3. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $311.5 billion dollars
4. Oil Exporters*, $296.8 billion dollars
5. Brazil, $258.5 billion dollars
6. Switzerland, $222.7 billion dollars
7. Ireland, $209.0 billion dollars
8. Belgium, $202.8 billion dollars
9. United Kingdom, $199.5 billion dollars
10. All Other, $187.8 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.27 Trillion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.21 Trillion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $70.6 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $199.5 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $76 Billion (Dec/2014)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $71.3 Billion (Dec/2014)