U.S. National Debt Clock October 2015
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Saturday, October 10th, 2015
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $59,740 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $13,046,699,068,111.43
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,103,841,353,016.10
Total U.S. National Debt: $18,150,540,421,127.53
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Jun/2015)
1. China, Mainland, $1240.8 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1197.5 billion dollars
3. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $324.5 billion dollars
4. Oil Exporters*, $298.3 billion dollars
5. Brazil, $256.7 billion dollars
6. Switzerland, $217.5 billion dollars
7. Ireland, $216.6 billion dollars
8. United Kingdom, $212.6 billion dollars
9. All Other, $185.6 billion dollars
10. Luxembourg, $185.2 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.24 Trillion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.2 Trillion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $81.7 Billion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $212.6 Billion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $79.7 Billion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $69.2 Billion (Jun/2015)