U.S. National Debt Clock May 2016
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Thursday, May 26th, 2016
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $63,270 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $13,841,341,118,883.61
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,381,706,417,013.70
Total U.S. National Debt: $19,223,047,535,897.31
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Oct/2015)
1. China, Mainland, $1254.8 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1149.2 billion dollars
3. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $322.0 billion dollars
4. Oil Exporters*, $291.4 billion dollars
5. Brazil, $255.0 billion dollars
6. Ireland, $232.9 billion dollars
7. Switzerland, $225.6 billion dollars
8. United Kingdom, $210.6 billion dollars
9. Hong Kong, $197.0 billion dollars
10. Luxembourg, $188.2 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.25 Trillion (Oct/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.15 Trillion (Oct/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $82 Billion (Oct/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $210.6 Billion (Oct/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $81.6 Billion (Oct/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $66.8 Billion (Oct/2015)