U.S. National Debt Clock April 2017
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Monday, April 24th, 2017
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $65,322 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $14,319,510,296,937.08
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,526,783,380,500.72
Total U.S. National Debt: $19,846,293,677,437.80
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Dec/2016)
1. Japan, $1090.8 billion dollars
2. China, Mainland, $1058.4 billion dollars
3. All Other, $482.5 billion dollars
4. Ireland, $288.2 billion dollars
5. Cayman Islands, $263.5 billion dollars
6. Brazil, $259.2 billion dollars
7. Switzerland, $229.3 billion dollars
8. Luxembourg, $223.4 billion dollars
9. United Kingdom, $217.1 billion dollars
10. Hong Kong, $191.4 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.06 Trillion (Dec/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.09 Trillion (Dec/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $86.1 Billion (Dec/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $217.1 Billion (Dec/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $82.2 Billion (Dec/2016)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $83 Billion (Dec/2016)