U.S. National Debt Clock June 2013
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Wednesday, June 19th, 2013
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $55,093 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $11,898,429,627,297.88
Intragovernmental Holdings: $4,840,234,968,029.76
Total U.S. National Debt: $16,738,664,595,327.64
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Apr/2013)
1. China, Mainland, $1264.9 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1100.3 billion dollars
3. Carib Bnkng Ctrs**, $273.1 billion dollars
4. Oil Exporters*, $272.7 billion dollars
5. Brazil, $252.6 billion dollars
6. All Other, $222.6 billion dollars
7. Taiwan, $186.7 billion dollars
8. Belgium, $185.7 billion dollars
9. Switzerland, $183.3 billion dollars
10. United Kingdom, $163.4 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.26 Trillion (Apr/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.1 Trillion (Apr/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $151.1 Billion (Apr/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $163.4 Billion (Apr/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $62 Billion (Apr/2013)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $61.8 Billion (Apr/2013)