U.S. National Debt Clock November 2015
An Overview of the United States National Debt
The Current Outstanding Public Debt of the United States is:
Last Updated: Friday, November 27th, 2015
Every man, woman and child in the United States currently owes $61,648 for their share of the U.S. public debt
Public Debt: $13,488,216,384,736.74
Intragovernmental Holdings: $5,242,028,842,477.55
Total U.S. National Debt: $18,730,245,227,214.29
Question: Who owns the public debt?
Answer: Mutual funds, pension funds, foreign governments, foreign investors, American investors, etc.
Which Foreign governments own the most U.S. debt?
Answer: Here is the Top 10 (as of Jun/2015)
1. China, Mainland, $1270.5 billion dollars
2. Japan, $1197.0 billion dollars
3. Carib Bkg Ctrs, $329.0 billion dollars
4. Oil Exporters*, $293.2 billion dollars
5. Brazil, $255.3 billion dollars
6. United Kingdom, $222.8 billion dollars
7. Switzerland, $222.7 billion dollars
8. Ireland, $216.4 billion dollars
9. Hong Kong, $193.2 billion dollars
10. Luxembourg, $184.8 billion dollars
*Includes oil exporting countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran
**includes countries such as Bermuda and the Cayman Islands
Of the $5.1 trillion dollars of US debt that is owned by foreign governments, China and Japan own nearly half, as evidenced by this chart:
Growth of US Debt Over Past 50 Years
Commonly Asked Questions:
How much Money does the United States Owe China?
A: $1.27 Trillion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Japan?
A: $1.2 Trillion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Russia?
A: $89.9 Billion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe the United Kingdom?
A: $222.8 Billion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Germany?
A: $80.2 Billion (Jun/2015)
How much Money does the United States Owe Canada?
A: $66.8 Billion (Jun/2015)